Monday, September 12, 2011

A Farmer by Accident Pt. III

Bermuda was fun, but more important was the confidence that it gave me. Returning back to Canada, I started job hunting again. I saw a small ad. It said "come and teach English in South Korea. I applied for the job. It was the easiest job that I ever got. At that time I wasn't aware of the great demand for Foreign English Teachers.


That first teaching job was a small private school that barely surviving week by week. I did get paid for all my teaching there, but most importantly it provided an airplane ticket to Asia and as we say, the rest is history.
My first teaching job was in Asan, South Korea. I would later work in Gyeongju and Cheonan for the next ten years.
I was in my third year in Korea and life is going very well. That summer I wanted to go and visit another Asian country. At that time, I didn't know how long I would be staying, so I thought it would be a good idea and visit places while I had the chance.
The year before I went to Singapore, it was okay but not really worth a 2nd visit. I decided to go and visit Bangkok.
One day, I was shopping for some beer and food to bring back to my hotel room. I went to the supermarket
in the afternoon, but the cashier wouldn't ring up my case of beer. Needless to say, I wasn't to happy and as a  extra bonus the cashier didn't speak a word of English.

Anyway a Thai women saw my distress and asked me if she could help. I told her my problem and she then spoke with the cashier. The cashier they could only sell at certain times.
I ask the woman who helped me if she would like to join me for some coffee and she said "Yes".
We would get together a few more times then I would have to return back to Korea. We still kept in touch
while we were in different countries.
I was turning 43 years old that year and I was thinking that I was too old to still be single. So sometime during the year, I asked her to marry me.

After getting married, she came to live with me in South Korea. We started our family there. We decided to stay there until the first child was to reach primary school age. Then we would return to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment