Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Farmer by Accident Pt I

I've been a English Language Teacher in South Korea for the past ten years. Over the years, I was trying to get some direction in my life. The difficult part was knowing what I want in life. As I get older, I wonder where I will live and what will I be doing during that time.


Many years earlier, I was attending Concordia University in Montreal. I had just completed my B.A. in Geography in 1986. As everyone asked "What can you do with a geography degree". During my years of study at university, I had two part-time jobs, the first being with the University computer center.
My job was to assist students with computer problems. My 2nd week-end job was with a large company and I worked on the week-ends operating their computer systems. The year 1986  was a time for when young people had difficulties finding work, but with some computer experience,  many jobs were available.
By the spring of 1986, I had completed all my courses and graduated from college.

I've told my employers at the company that I will be graduating soon. They were kind enough to offer me a full time job and a decent pay raise. I was young and I had a good paying job when compared with all my friends who were still struggling to get on with their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment